- Beginner Level: No background knowledge is needed as the course is designed for beginners of Mandarin who have no previous background in this language. After successfully completing this level, students will be able to speak and understand simple texts in daily Chinese conversations.
- Elementary Level: The course is designed for those who have completed the Beginner level course, or learners who possess some proficiency in Mandarin but have not had proper education of this language in the past.
- Intermediate Level: The course is designed for students: (1) who have completed Certificate in Business Mandarin at the Elementary level; or (2) who have passed ‘O’ or ‘N’ level in Chinese (A placement test will be required); or (3) who have passed HSK level 2.
- Upper-Intermediate Level: The course is designed for students (1) who have completed Certificate in Business Mandarin at the Intermediate level; or (2) who have passed ‘O’ or ‘N’ level in Chinese (A placement test will be required); or (3) who have passed HSK level 3.
- Advanced level: The course is designed for students (1) who have completed Certificate in Business Mandarin at the Upper-Intermediate Level; or (2) who have passed ‘O’ or ‘N’ level in Chinese (A placement test will be required); or (3) who have passed HSK level 4.
- Accuracy of pronunciation is developed with communication skills throughout the course.
- Listening and speaking are practiced in situations with demonstrations by instructors in various classroom settings and topics corresponding to real-world business activities
- Grammar and structure, the same as pinyin will be introduced into the lessons
- A vocabulary list will be provided at each level to help students learn all the essential words that appear in the lessons.
- Beginners who are interested to learn Mandarin for business or leisure
- Learners with basic knowledge in Mandarin who wish to improve language skills
- Independent learners seeking to discover more about the Chinese Culture and to familiarize themselves in a business-related environment
- Entrepreneurs aspiring to do business with China
The Certificate in Mandarin for Business programme aims to help students acquire and develop general proficiency in Mandarin for their general daily needs and future pursuits in employment opportunities in a business environment.
There are 5 different levels under the Certificate in Mandarin for Business programme: Beginner, Elementary, Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate, and Advanced. The learning outcomes vary for every level.
- Learning Outcome for Beginner:
Learn vocabulary and grammar to communicate basic ideas in Mandarin; Introduce students to the fundamentals of learning Mandarin, including pinyin phonetics and Chinese characters; Preparatory foundation level for further Mandarin language study.
- Learning Outcome for Elementary:
Learn essential Chinese vocabulary and grammar to converse in simple sentences; Expand vocabulary and grammatical constructs in Business Mandarin.
- Learning Outcome for Intermediate:
Develop language skills in listening, speaking, reading as well as its application in a general business context.
- Learning Outcome for Upper-Intermediate:
Acquisition of most of the basic knowledge and communicative skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing in chinese.
- Learning Outcome for Advanced:
Ability to express confidently in Mandarin and to articulate thoughts and opinions effectively in a business environment.